The largest air harbor in the UAE is located in Dubai and is named International Airport (Dubai International Airport). It is intended for civil aircraft and takes the 6th place on the planet by passenger turnover.
Dubai Airport has an international IATA code: DXB. The fact is that at the time of the opening of the harbor, the abbreviation DUB was occupied by Dublin, so the letter U was replaced by X. In 2001, repairs were carried out here, so that the maximum passenger system was increased from 60 to 80 million people per year.
The history of the airport in Dubai began in 1959, when Sheikh Rashid ibn Said al-Maktoum ordered the construction of a modern air harbor. Its official opening took place in 1960, however, repairs were carried out until the mid-80s of the XX century.
Dubai International Airport Airlines in United Arab Emirates
The main companies that are based here are:
- Flydubai is a low-cost carrier serviced in the terminal №2. He carries out flights to the countries of South Asia, Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- Emirates Airline is one of the largest airlines in the country. She owns more than 180 wide-body airliners Boeing and Airbus. The flights are carried out on all continents of the planet and on the largest islands. The flights of this carrier are serviced only in Terminal # 3.
- Emirates SkyCargo is a subsidiary of Emirates Airline. Transportation is carried out on all continents.
The airport is used as a secondary hub by carriers such as Iran Aseman Airlines, Jazeera Airways, Royal Jordanian, etc. Regular flights are regularly made by the following international airlines: Biman Bangladesh Airlines, Yemenia, Singapore Airlines.
Many travelers experience how not to get lost at the airport in Dubai, because its total area is 2,036,020 square meters. m. Tourists can navigate the scheme of the air harbor, but usually all the aircraft are greeted by employees and help tourists to get to the zone they need.
For an additional fee, Marhaba service is available here. It is a meeting, accompanying passengers and all-round assistance. You must order this service at least one day before arrival or departure.
All terminals of Dubai airport are divided into sectors. Let's consider them in more detail:
- Terminal No.1 is named after Sheikh Rashid and consists of 2 parts: C and D. There are 40 racks for passport control, 14 baggage claim points and 125 airlines. The building has 60 gates (exits to land).
- Terminal number 2 - it serves the small air carriers of the Persian Gulf and charters. The structure consists of underground and ground floors. There are 52 zones for immigration control, 180 check-in desks and 14 carousels for luggage.
- Terminal 3 - is divided into 3 parts (A, B, C). Areas for departure and arrival are located on several floors, on which there are 32 teletraps. Only Airbus A380 will arrive here.
- VIP zone - is called AL Majalis and is intended for holders of Smart Card, as well as for diplomatic persons and distinguished guests. The terminal has an area of 5500 square meters. m and consists of 2 floors.
What can I do at the airport in Dubai?
Often, travelers are on the airport for several hours, and sometimes days, so they have a natural question about what interesting to see at the airport in Dubai. The UAE is a highly developed country with its unique culture, therefore in each terminal you will find something amazing and original. For example, it can be separate rooms for praying or free showers.
The most popular places in Dubai airport are duty free shops, because shopping here is not worse than in the city itself. These establishments are open 24 hours a day and are available to passengers of all airlines. Here, at affordable prices, you can buy both brand clothes and essential goods, as well as a variety of products and alcohol.
For the convenience of tourists at the airport in Dubai, there is a currency exchange, a business lounge for business meetings and sports and fitness centers. Still here it is possible to address for the help in a first-aid post and to get a local sim card.
Where to eat at Dubai airport?
On the territory of the air harbor there are about 30 public catering establishments. You can eat both in the international self-service network (for example, McDonald's), and in luxurious restaurants with Chinese, Indian and French cuisine. The most popular of them are Tansu Kitchen, Lebanese Bistro and Le Matin Francois.
Where to sleep at Dubai airport?
On the territory of the airport there are sleeping cabins, which are called SnoozeCube. Each of them has a bed, TV and internet. The rental price is $ 20 for 4 hours. Also at Dubai airport is the five- star Dubai International hotel , suitable for transit. Visitors are provided with health clubs with swimming pools, restaurants and rooms of various categories.
If you stay at the airport in Dubai for less than a day, then you do not need a visa. At the same time, you will not be allowed to leave the territory of the air harbor. You can only use the airport infrastructure and move from one terminal to another. To do this, you need from 30 minutes to 2 hours, consider this when planning your time.
In the event that docking between aircraft at the airport exceeds 24 hours and passengers wish to make an excursion around Dubai and take a photo of the city, they will have to issue a transit visa. It lasts 96 hours and costs about $ 40.
Features of visit
Each foreign passenger arriving at Dubai airport undergoes a procedure for scanning the retina during passport control. This is necessary for the internal security of the country. Scanning is absolutely painless procedure.
After a long flight, many tourists are interested in the question of whether it is possible to smoke at the airport in Dubai. For those who do not imagine their lives without a cigarette, in all terminals special booths with a good hood were built. In public toilets, smoke is prohibited by law .
How can I get from Dubai Airport to the city?
In order to answer the question about where Dubai airport is located, you need to look at the map of the city. It shows that it is located 4 km from the historic area of Al-Garhud. Near the terminals there are stops where buses Nos. 4, 11, 15, 33, 44 depart. They will take passengers to different points of the settlement.
From the airport, Dubai can be reached by metro . It is possible to get on the red branch of the subway from the terminal №1 and №3. Trains run here at 05:50 am and until 01:00 at night. The ticket price starts at $ 1 and depends on the location of the final destination.
The most convenient way to get from Dubai airport is by taxi, which is provided by the government department. The machines are in the arrival terminal and are available around the clock. The fare varies from $ 8 to $ 30.