National Parks of the Czech Republic

Czech Republic is a small country in central Europe with a rich and very beautiful nature . 12% of its territory is recognized as protected and protected by the state. UNESCO included individual parks in the list of natural monuments.

Reserves and national parks of the Czech Republic

The most interesting places where you can take a walk through the forest and mountains , swim in the cleanest lakes , meet wild animals and birds:

  1. Šumava is one of the most beautiful national parks in the Czech Republic with a huge forest area located in South Bohemia. The park passes along the border with Austria and Germany, occupies 684 square meters. km. It includes even regions that have not been touched by man. In 1991, UNESCO gave it the status of a natural heritage. The mountain system of Šumava is not high, its maximum is Mount Plevi 1378 m, covered with a dense mixed forest, which is great for walking and playing sports. Over 70 different species of animals and birds and more than 200 plant species live in protected areas, many of which are unique to local forests and marshes. For the convenience of visitors in the park there are marked trails for trekking and cycling in the summer, and in the winter skiers like to come here.
  2. The Krkonoše is considered the largest protected area of ​​the country, the park stretches to the east of the Czech Republic for 186400 square kilometers. km. 1/4 of the park is completely closed for visits, there is a balance of wildlife, the rest of the space is prohibited from farming and settlements. Tourists are happy to come to this park to see the beautiful mountains of Snezk , High-Kohl and others (all of them are about 1500 m high), steep cliffs, incredible waterfalls and unspoiled lakes. The park is known all over the world and annually receives from 10 million tourists. Near the entrance are built numerous hotels and sanatoriums, allowing you to relax in the park for a long time, swim in lakes and rivers, get acquainted with animals and plants of this region.
  3. Czech Switzerland is considered the most popular and the youngest national park. It was founded in 2000 in Bohemia, is located 80 km to the north-west from Prague in the town of Decin . It is famous for its rocky landscapes: many believe that it was thanks to them that the park got its name. However, his name is not directly related to this country: he was so named because of two Swiss artists who liked to travel here to the open air from Dresden, where they worked on the reconstruction of the gallery. After the work was completed, Adrian Zing and Anton Graff moved to this region of Bohemia permanently, saying that it would now be their Switzerland. This fact was very popular with the locals and gave the name to the region.
  4. White Carpathians is a small national park located on the border with Slovakia. It occupies 80 km of a low mountain chain, not exceeding 1 km in height. The total area of ​​the park is only 715 square meters. km, it is interesting for the growing plants here, with more than 40 thousand species, many of them endemic, and 44 species listed in the Red Book, which UNESCO has included in the list of natural heritage of mankind.
  5. Podiji is the most southern and smallest national park in the Czech Republic. It is located in South Moravia on the border with Austria. Its area is only 63 square meters. km, of which more than 80% is forest, the remaining 20% ​​are fields and vineyards. Despite the small territory, the park is rich in flora and fauna, here you can see 77 species of trees, flowers and grasses, including rare orchids, which prefer not a tropical, but a cooler climate. There are more than 65 species of animals here. Some populations, such as ground squirrels, are restored in the park after years of extermination.