Everyone has their own reasons to switch to the popular vegetarianism:
- Many people refuse meat from respect for life, due to the protection of animal rights, religious beliefs.
- Someone thinks that a vegetarian diet is healthier.
Apparently, there are so many reasons, so many varieties of vegetarianism. The Pescetarians decided that fish and other seafood would be suitable for consumption, in contrast to the meat of warm-blooded animals. Vegans do not eat or use any products of animal origin, even beeswax, silk clothing or goose fat for shoes. Unlike the "mysterious" lacto-ovo-vegetarians.
What is lacto-ovo-vegetarianism?
The etymology of the concept of lacto-ovo-vegetarianism clearly reveals its meaning:
- The Latin word lac (lacquer) means milk (another example is lactation);
- Ovum (ovum) from the same Latin is translated as an egg;
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is a way of life based on the refusal to eat meat, including fish and seafood, but eggs and milk products are acceptable. A typical lacto-ovo-diet includes:
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is good and bad
Any restriction in food requires special attention to the diet. Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet can bring not only good, but also harm to the body, as it excludes:
- fish and seafood.
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is good
A well-balanced lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Although often a vegetarian diet is chosen for ethical reasons, there are many benefits in lacto-ovo-vegetarianism and for health:
- Protection against diseases . Vegetarian foods are rich in fiber and antioxidants and contain small amounts of cholesterol and fats, thereby reducing the risk of developing diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases.
- Maintaining an ideal weight . Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism, like other types of vegetarian diets, virtually eliminates the possibility of obesity and helps maintain the body in shape.
- Longevity . Animal fat in large quantities has an adverse effect on the health of arteries and veins, increases the number of free radicals in the body. A diet low in carbohydrates and fats, a lot of antioxidants, increases life expectancy.
- Strong bones . When there is not enough calcium in the body, it removes it from the bloodstream, which makes the bones porous and brittle. Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism means a diet rich in calcium (dairy products are the main source).
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism - harm
Ovolacto-vegetarianism has its own nuances:
- Some scientists say that the lack of vitamins of certain groups, which are contained exclusively in meat, can lead to serious disorders of the nervous system.
- A complete rejection of fish and seafood threatens to lack zinc, magnesium, and phosphorus and other nutrients for the body. At a minimum, you should think about taking vitamins.
- The likelihood of overeating, along with this - the risk of diseases of the digestive system. Vegetarianism is often associated with overeating, since saturation with plant food requires the absorption of large portions. Although in this sense, lacto-ovo-vegetarianism still has advantages over other types of vegetarian diets due to milk and eggs in the diet.
Lacto-ovos-vegetarianism for losing weight
Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet can be of different quality, depending on the choice of foods. The lack of meat in the diet does not yet indicate a healthy diet that helps maintain an ideal weight. There are many not very useful and vegetarian products:
- White bread;
- ice cream.
To lose weight and support it on lacto-ovo-vegetarianism, you need to pay attention to such things as calorie counting and a balanced diet. No matter, animal or vegetable origin of fat, it can have the same energy value . For example, beef and olive oil for 1 gram contain the same 9 kcal.