Dentistry is a progressive branch of medicine. Every year, doctors invent new methods of therapy, improve old ones. Now, dental treatment can be performed absolutely without pain and even under general anesthesia, when the patient does not feel anything.
Modern painkillers and improved dental technology allowed to treat patients with teeth without pain and fear. If earlier visiting a dentist for many was stress, thanks to improved methods, a visit to the dentist does not differ from visiting other doctors. Caries treatment is carried out, as before, by removing the damaged tissue of the tooth followed by the insertion of the seal. However, the technology has moved a lot. To remove dead tissue, the dentist can now do without drilling. To do this, use:
- air-abrasive treatment.
Laser treatment of teeth
Dental treatment with the help of laser technology completely excludes drilling. The device selectively affects the dental tissues. Under the influence of the laser, complete evaporation of the infected tissue takes place, simultaneous disinfection of the tooth cavity. Treatment of dental caries with this method has several advantages:
- absence of painful sensations;
- elimination of the need for anesthesia;
- prevention of secondary caries ;
- absence of increased sensitivity of teeth after the procedure.
However, like any method of therapy, laser treatment of teeth has its drawbacks:
- the need to use special glasses by a doctor in the procedure;
- danger of damage to small areas of the gum with a laser;
- need for high qualification of a doctor.
Dental Treatment by Icon
Treatment of caries using the Icon method suggests that there is no need for sealing. The term Icon (Aikon) is an abbreviation of the English words Infilrationconcept (the concept of infiltration). This system was developed as an alternative to the treatment of caries in the early stages - the stage of the white spot. Excellent technique is suitable for the treatment of the consequences of orthodontic treatment, after the removal of braces. Filling the affected tissue with Icon composite material seals the damaged enamel, which stops the carious process.
Among advantages of a method stomatologists allocate:
- early termination of the carious process;
- complete preservation of healthy tissues;
- good aesthetic effect;
- absence of anesthesia;
- the possibility of treatment for one visit.
The drawbacks of Icon are:
- the possibility of treating only initial tissue damage;
- high material cost;
- the need for qualification.
Ozone treatment of teeth
Treatment of caries without drilling teeth is possible by ozonization. Ozone is a strong oxidant. This substance freely penetrates into the affected dental tissues, while not affecting the healthy. After its application, complete destruction of all pathogenic bacteria in the treatment zone is observed. Such treatment of the tooth canals prevents secondary caries. At the end of the procedure, a special composition is applied to the surface of the tooth, which helps remeneralization.
To the merits of ozonotherapy of a tooth can be attributed:
- absence of allergic reactions;
- the speed of the procedure;
- complete sterilization;
- the possibility of use in children's practice.
The disadvantages of ozonotherapy are:
- Does not exclude the need for drilling a tooth;
- The possibility of using only in the early stages of caries.
Filling teeth with modern photopolymeric materials helps not only to achieve the desired effect, but also to preserve it for a long time. Restoration of such substances tooth tissue acquires a high safety margin, which is comparable to natural. With the help of photopolymers, dentists perform many procedures:
- restoration of teeth ;
- change in the shape and length of the tooth;
- fixation of the crown.
Even 2 hours after the procedure, the patient can take food. Among the main advantages of photopolymer seals doctors note:
- high level of strength;
- a variety of colors (the material is selected for the color of the tooth);
- eliminates any defect;
- service life is 5-6 years.
Of the shortcomings:
- high material cost;
- the need for special equipment.
Prosthetics in dentistry - new technologies
Modern prosthetics in dentistry has reached such a level that often the implant does not externally differ from the native tooth. Earlier, patients were forced to wear stamped crowns, which not only did not look aesthetically pleasing, but also damaged the tooth. All stages of manufacturing are fully automated, which helps to achieve high accuracy. Armed with prosthetics:
- ZD-design - creating an exact copy of the model of the future artificial tooth
- Software complexes for diagnosing the oral cavity for determining the degree of readiness for prosthetics (Cadiax, Biopack).
- Dental 3D-tomograph - a device that helps determine the features of the structure and maxillofacial area with the help of three-dimensional images.
Dental treatment under general anesthesia
Dental treatment under general anesthesia is not a common dental practice, used in rare cases. General anesthesia may be required when:
- deep sealing;
- removal of the dental nerves;
- orthodontic operations;
- the need for extensive interventions (at the same time many teeth are treated);
- installation of implants ;
- intolerance of the analgesics used.
The procedure for such treatment of teeth implies full immersion of the patient in sleep. As a result, he does not feel pain and does not remember how the procedure itself took place. The doctor receives full access to the oral cavity, while he himself plans the duration of the manipulation and its course. At the end of the anesthesia for another 1-2 hours the patient must be in the clinic, after which he goes home.
How can I treat my teeth at home?
In most cases, dental treatment at home is limited to the elimination of a strong, intolerable toothache. After her disappearance, the patient is sent to a medical facility. However, it should be noted that modern dental units have decreased so much in size, have become mobile, so they can be used outside the dental clinic.
For self-treatment, recovery of minor injuries, doctors recommend:
- toothpaste with fluoride;
- dental restorative gels;
- enriching the diet with foods high in vitamin D.