At athletes and bodybuilders, the need for protein exists continuously. To satisfy it, you have to eat kilograms of high-calorie meat, eggs and cottage cheese. An alternative option is to include slow-acting protein supplements in the diet. They will provide energy to the body and nutrition of the muscle for the whole day without harmful fats and carbohydrates.
Casein - what is it?
Casein is a protein with prolonged action. Raw material for the production of casein is milk, curdled with the addition of special enzymes. Getting into the stomach, the protein does not dissolve in gastric juice, but is converted into a gel of amino acids. It takes 5-7 hours to digest the body. This is the difference between casein and whey proteins - the latter is digested quickly.
In the process of digestion of bioadditives valuable amino acids, phosphorus and calcium, necessary for the athlete's body for normal functioning at constant physical loads, are released. Casein protein in its pure form is a white powder, the taste is not pronounced, it resembles cottage cheese. The product is natural, does not contain chemical additives and dyes.
Casein protein - composition
The micellar protein contains magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium and valuable amino acids. The amino acid composition of casein includes 10 essential amino acids. In 100 grams of pure protein, they account for 47 grams:
- arginine - 3.3;
- valine (BCAA) - 5.4;
- histidine - 2.4;
- isoleucine (BCAA) 5.0;
- leucine (BCAA) 9.1;
- lysine - 8.5;
- methionine - 2.6;
- threonine 4.5;
- phenylalanine - 4,4;
- tryptophan - 1,8.
Casein - harm or benefit?
Casein protein is the source of protein needed by athletes to recruit and conserve muscle mass. The protein is slowly digested, providing the body with nutrition day and night. It can be used as a diet because of the lack of fat and carbohydrates. The low cost and simplicity of manufacturing a sports supplement led to the appearance of casein of questionable quality on the market. It can cause harm to health.
The benefit and harm of casein protein was studied by leading experts from around the world. They believe that to maintain physical fitness athletes need 3 grams of protein per kilogram of weight. With serious training, the need for protein increases to 4-6 grams per kilogram of weight. Overdosing of a dietary supplements can harm the health of an athlete.
The Benefits of Casein Protein
Why do you need casein to the body? It belongs to the group of milk proteins, the effectiveness of which is twice higher than that of vegetable proteins. Admission supplements accelerates the collection of muscle mass and ensures its growth during and after training in the hall. Casein slowly digested and longer saturates the body with valuable amino acids. Studies conducted by scientists from different countries confirm that casein acts more efficiently than foods that contain a lot of protein. The benefit of a bioactive additive is as follows:
- The synthesis of protein in the body is accelerated. This is important in periods of "drying", when the amount of nutrients is sharply reduced.
- The body receives a valuable protein in the required volume. To achieve similar results with the help of ordinary food is difficult.
- Casein protein quenches the hunger for 6-8 hours.
- Amino acids, which are part of it, accelerate the process of fat burning , so protein is used as a means to lose weight.
- When taking an additive, the risk of injury is reduced, which is explained by the high calcium content necessary to strengthen bones.
Casein - harm
What is the harm of casein for humans? Protein is safe if taken at the manufacturer's recommended dosage. There are side effects, which is explained by the high concentration of pure milk protein and individual features of the body. Harm is manifested in the following:
- Excess weight when using casein in large quantities. The product is high in calories, with an excess of protein in the body, the fatty layer increases in volume.
- Problems with the liver and kidneys - they arise because of the additional burden on the organs in case of an overdose.
- Allergy to casein is manifested by a rash, itching, redness of the skin. This reaction is typical for people with lactose intolerance.
- In rare cases, there are pains in the abdomen, indigestion .
Casein - Species
Manufacturers produce casein of three types: micellar, caseinate, casein hydrolyzate. They differ in the technology of production, composition and action.
- Micellar casein is made by the method of milk filtration. In the production process, casein is separated from fat and whey. The structure of the natural protein is not violated, its properties are preserved. This type of protein is digested easily, but long (8-9 hours). In water and other liquids, it does not dissolve completely, so cocktails based on it have a thick consistency.
- Caseinate is 90% protein, and 10% calcium, potassium and sodium. It completely dissolves in water, manufacturers often include it in the composition of ready-made energy cocktails.
- Casein hydrolyzate is made by acid hydrolysis. It includes amino acid solutions and peptides. This bioadditive is quickly absorbed in the body, often used as a component of baby food.
What foods contain casein?
What is casein and what products can replace the biologically active additive? Casein is a milk protein, in sufficient quantity for the organism it is contained in milk and dairy products. Its quantity varies in different products of the same group:
- cow's milk - 80% of casein;
- goat milk - 80%;
- cheese hard - 30%;
- soft cheese - 28%;
- cheese in brine - 25%
- cottage cheese fat content of 15-23% - 22%;
- cottage cheese with fat content 0-1,8% - 18%;
- sour cream 20% - 15%;
- kefir 2.5% - 15%;
- yoghurt without additives - 9%;
- sweet cheese curd - 9%;
- sweet yogurt - 6%.
There are athletes who alternate casein protein with the intake of low-fat cottage cheese and other dairy products. This scheme of nutrition is suitable for satisfying hunger, but as a source of protein in the required quantity, it does not fit. In 100 grams of cottage cheese it contains no more than 20 grams, and in the finished casein it is 90 grams. Curd, kefir, yogurt is good for eating as a supplement to a biologically active additive, and not instead of it.
How to take casein protein?
Why do I need casein? For the recruitment and retention of muscle mass, to quench hunger in the process of losing weight. The reception schedules and the number depends on the purpose. The easiest way is to dissolve the powder in milk and drink it as a cocktail. To enhance the taste, vanilla, cinnamon or cocoa is added to it and mixed in a shaker. Casein is drunk in its pure form, and to enhance the effect it is mixed with whey protein .
How can I take casein when I need muscle and during drying? There is a universal scheme on which athletes can orient themselves:
- 40 grams of additive before bedtime - during the period of muscle mass gain.
- 20 grams of powder, diluted in water or milk, 3-4 times a day between meals - during the "drying".
- 35 grams a day, if the athlete had to miss the meal.
Casein for weight gain
To increase muscle mass, provide nutrition to the body and increase endurance, casein is drunk in the evening in the amount indicated by the muscle. It is allowed to mix it with the whey protein - casein nourishes the muscles for a day, and whey protein actively participates in the formation of the relief, stimulates the growth of the musculature during the day. Casein after exercise is taken to enhance anabolism. To do this, it is mixed with whey protein in a ratio of 1: 2.
Casein protein for weight loss
Casein for weight loss does not cause harm to health, if you comply with the dosage. The cocktail is prepared from a protein powder diluted in water. You can drink it at any time of the day, but the optimal day and evening hours are considered, when the appetite is awakened or there is a desire to eat sweet, floury. The protein dulls the feeling of hunger , saturates the body with the necessary minerals and amino acids.
The frequency of reception depends on the initial weight and the desired result. The optimal scheme of losing weight - taking a dietary supplement instead of 1-2 snacks. A single dose of powder for this option is 20 grams. Casein can be taken 4-5 times a day between meals, not exceeding the daily dosage. For weight loss 40-50 grams of supplements a day will suffice.
The Best Casein Protein
The final result depends on the quality of the product. When choosing it, one should be guided by the ranking of casein protein and the reputation of the manufacturer. Low-quality additives attract low cost, but instead of the desired effect cause side effects. Leaders in the segment of sports nutrition are deservedly considered the following brands:
- Gold Standard from the Optimum Nutrition brand . With one measuring spoon, the body receives 34 grams of protein, which contains 24 grams of casein protein without any impurities.
- Elite Casein from the brand Dymatize . High-quality additive, which includes all the necessary trace elements. One spoon contains 24 grams of protein.
- Casein from the company MusclePharm for 80% consists of milk protein.
- Casein Pro from Universal Nutrition brand consists of a micellar protein without impurities. The additive will please gourmets with flavors of vanilla, chocolate, cream.