Almost every adult person from time to time feels bitterness in the throat. It can occur after taking alcohol, antibiotic treatment, with errors in nutrition. This is a normal reaction of the body to the negative factors affecting the digestive system. But if the sensation of bitterness in the throat does not go away, a metallic taste in the mouth is attached to it, then this is a signal about any malfunction in the body or one of the symptoms of the gastrointestinal tract.
The main causes of bitterness in the throat
Among the "provocateurs" of this feeling:
- chronic diseases of the digestive tract;
- helminthiases (worms);
- constant intake of medicines in the treatment of diabetes, arthritis, hypertension;
- Poisoning by poisonous substances and certain food products;
- metabolic disease;
- diseases of the nervous system;
- high blood glucose;
- hormonal disorders during pregnancy and menopause;
- diseases of teeth and nasopharyngeal organs.
Why does it taste bitter in the throat after eating?
Sometimes a strong bitterness in the throat occurs after eating, and its causes are as follows:
- This unpleasant sensation can provoke some food. For example, chocolate, coffee, nuts, fatty meats and fish, fast food products, etc. Especially often, bitterness in the throat is caused by sweets consumed in large quantities.
- If the intake of any food causes bitterness and nausea, this indicates the presence of pathology of the liver, gallbladder or intestine. Serious diseases such as hepatitis, cholecystitis, cholelithiasis, dysbacteriosis always accompany strong bitterness in the throat, especially in the mornings.
- Perhaps one of the most common causes of the appearance of bitterness in the throat is the pathology of the gallbladder, known as dyskinesia of bile ducts. This disease is manifested by the release of bile into the esophagus, which causes unpleasant sensations.
- Chronic gastritis and diseases of the endocrine system are also characterized by bitterness in the throat and in the mouth.
- Most women during pregnancy feel a strong bitterness in the throat. It is due to a change in the hormonal background. The hormone progesterone, which is produced during the period of gestation, can slow the digestion process. As a consequence - the emergence of acid reflux, which causes bitterness. The increased growth of the fetus at the end of pregnancy contributes to casting into the esophagus the contents of the gastrointestinal tract due to pressure on the walls of the abdominal cavity.
- After a long treatment with antibacterial drugs, there is almost always bitterness in the throat in the mornings. This is one of the side effects of drugs and / or the development of dysbiosis.
- Infection of the body with Giardia causes nausea and bitterness in the throat.
- Recently, doctors increasingly diagnose thyroid disorders such as hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, whose treatment involves long-term use of hormonal and toxic drugs. Such medications cause constant bitterness in the morning.
- Women who are too addicted to phytopreparations often face the problem of bitterness in the throat.
- Fungal diseases of the mouth that occur with weakened immunity, can also cause bitterness in the mouth and throat.
- Strong bitterness in the throat, especially in the mornings and on an empty stomach, can be a harbinger of such a terrible disease as oncology of the digestive tract. Therefore, do not neglect this symptom.
Based on all this, it is impossible to give an unambiguous answer to the question, why there is bitterness in the throat. Since the cause of this unpleasant sensation is more than enough, you should consult a doctor for a thorough examination and elimination of existing pathology.